Local Authorities in Scotland have a statutory duty to provide a service for the registration of births, still-births, deaths, civil partnerships and marriages in each of their registration districts.
Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, 20 City Square, Dundee DD1 3BD
Tel: 01382 435222
Fax: 01382 435224
Monday - Friday, 8.45 am - 4.45 pm.
Please note all death registrations are by appointment only. Please telephone 01382 435222 to arrange an appointment. Although not compulsory, we would advise an appointment to be made for birth registrations and marriage enquiries as this could avoid a prolonged wait or a request to return on another day.
The registration of these events is compulsory and is governed by two main Acts of Parliament:
- The Registration of Births Deaths and Marriages (Scotland) Act 1965
- The Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977.
Registration is affected by several other Acts, however, and the most important of these are:
- The Population (Statistics) Acts 1938 and 1960
- The Adoption (Scotland) Act 1978
- The Presumption of Death (Scotland) Act 1977
- The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990
- Civil Partnership Act 2004
The City Registrar is responsible for ensuring that all births, deaths, still-births, civil partnerships and marriages occurring in Dundee Registration District are registered within the statutory time limits. All death registrations are by appointment only. The registration staff also deal with changes of name, marriages abroad, re-registration of births and declarations of paternity. Civil marriages can be conducted 7 days a week, 24 hours a day (in consultation with the registrar), at any place within Dundee City limits, other than religious premises. A Family History Centre has also been established to cater for the growing interest in genealogical research, both locally and world-wide.
The Section is staffed by a City Registrar, two other Registrars, two Assistant Registrars and one clerical support staff. All three Registrars are qualified and are authorised to conduct civil marriages.
The Registrar's Office in Dundee is situated in the heart of the city. Car parking is available at nearby Gellatly Street and the Wellgate Centre.
Select the topic that interests you to find out more:
- Birth Registration
- Death Registration
- Dundee Bereavement Guide (3.56MB PDF)
- Certificates of Birth, Death and Marriage and Civil Partnership
- Birth, Death Marriage and Civil Partnership certificates outside Scotland
- Changing your Name
- Family History Centre
- Popular children's names in Dundee from 1999
- Dundee Birth Numbers by District from 1950 (28.88KB PDF)
- Dundee Birth, Death and Marriage Statistics 1979 – 2013 (43.4KB PDF)
- Yearly Marriage Totals in Dundee since 1855 (124KB PDF)
Marriage and Civil Partnerships
- Marriage in Scotland
- Same Sex Marriage
- Civil Marriages in Dundee
- Marriage Notice Forms (M10) (100KB PDF)
- Guide to Weddings and Civil Ceremonies in Dundee (1.46MB PDF)
- Options and examples for your ceremony
- Venues for Civil marriage in Dundee
- Civil Partnership Act 2004
- Civil Partnerships in Dundee
- Civil Partnership Form (CP10) (184KB PDF)
Other ceremonies available in Dundee