Isolation Grants

Isolation Grants container

Isolation Grants content

Isolation Grants eligibility changed on the 1 May 2022.  From this date there will be no requirement to have a PCR test unless you are applying for an Isolation Grant and there will no contact tracing.

Only people testing positive for Covid-19, who been asked to isolate by NHS Test and Protect, who also meet the other eligibility criteria will be permitted to apply for an isolation Grant.

Can an applicant claim for the SISG if they are the parent or carer who has had to take time off work to look after them? 

  • Yes, if the child is under 16 years and has a positive PCR test
  • Yes, if the person you care for has a positive PCR test
  • And they meet the other eligibility criteria 

If you or the person/child you are caring for has tested positive and have been asked to isolate by NHS Test and Protect on/ after the 1 May or have symptoms and are yet to be tested please click on the following link.!

This will take you to the site where you will be asked a series of questions in order to identify whether or not you may be eligible for an Isolation Grant.  If you are eligible or deemed to be possibly eligible, you will be directed to book a home PCR test if you have not already received a positive PCR result.  You will then be automatically transferred back to Dundee City Council’s Isolation grant application to apply for an Isolation Grant with Dundee City Council.  Please note that the Isolation Grant cannot be paid until we have received all the required evidence and confirmation of a positive result from Test and Protect.

If you or the person/child you care for have received a positive PCR test from Test and Protect (Lateral flow tests are not accepted) and you meet the criteria you can apply here. Please note that you must give authorisation to Test and Protect to share information with Dundee City Council, to allow us to verify your positive PCR result. If this cannot be verified your application will be declined.

Apply for Isolation Support Grant

The self isolation support grant can only be considered if we have all the evidence required including:

  • Evidence of contact from the Test and Protect Service
  • Evidence of employment or self-employment
  • Evidence that you are unable to work from home and will experience reduced earnings as a result
  • Evidence of entitlement to low income benefits or wages less than the real living wage threshold

Scanned copies, photographs or screenshots of the evidence can be sent to sends e-mail) quoting your Name and FMR grant reference number. We cannot accept screen shots of bank balances – please provide copies of your bank statement.

In order to make a payment of the self-isolation support grant our decision makers must be able to verify all of the above requirements.

Therefore as an applicant you will need to provide:

  • a bank statement (We cannot accept screen shots of bank balances)
  • proof of income* if you are not in receipt of a qualifying benefit
  • proof of employment or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact or cannot be undertaken because of childcare or caring responsibilities; and
  • a declaration, separately or as part of the application form, that you will experience reduced earnings during your period of self-isolation. This can be in the form of an email to sends e-mail) quoting your Name and ISG grant reference number.
  • where you are a carer of an adult who is required to isolate, you should confirm via a declaration, separately or as part of the application, that you are the primary carer, you meet all the qualifying criteria and that you will experience a loss in earnings as a result of not being able to work to care for the adult.
  • where it is a child who is required to isolate, you should confirm via a declaration, separately or as part of the application that you are the parent or primary carer, that you meet all the qualifying criteria and that you will experience a loss in earnings as a result of staying home to care for the child.

Qualifying criteria

You may be eligible for a £225 payment if you meet the following criteria:

•    You are required to self-isolate at the request of NHS Test & Protect.
•    You are the identified appropriate parent or primary carer of a child under 16 who has been required to self-isolate.
•    You are the carer of a person over the age of 16 who is required to self-isolate.
•    You make an application within 28 days of the day that you are requested to self-isolate.
•    You must be employed or self-employed and it is not possible for you to work from home.
•    Your income is reduced as a result of having to self-isolate e.g. you are receiving Statutory Sick Pay or no pay 
•    You are in receipt of means-tested Council Tax Reduction, Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit; Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance; Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance; Income Support; Housing Benefit; and/or Pension Credit.
•    Your income is less than stated below for your circumstances:

Your Household You are eligible if either:
  Your monthly household
income (NET) is
no greater than:
Your monthly individual
income (GROSS) is
no greater than:
Single person with no children £1,792 £1,792
Couple with no children £2,225 £1,792
Single person with 1 child £3,187 £1,792
Couple with 1 child £3,620 £1,792
Single person with 2 children £4,082 £1,792
Couple with 2 children £4,516 £1,792
Single person with 3 or more children £5,545 £1,792
Couple with 3 or more children £5,979 £1,792

When a grant cannot be paid

You will not qualify for a self-isolation support grant:

  • If you are self-isolating because you are returning to the UK after being abroad or because you feel that you have symptoms and haven't been tested
  • If you are not employed or self-employed.
  • If you are employed or self-employed and your earnings or self-employed income will not reduce e.g because you will receive normal pay or you can continue to work from home.
  • If your individual/household income is more than the Dundee City income threshold (see previous).

No Recourse to Public Funds

Although the Scottish Welfare Fund cannot normally be accessed by people with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) we are able to make Self Isolation Support Grant payments to people in this situation under Public Health legislation as long as all other eligibility criteria has been met.

People with no recourse to Public Funds cannot be in receipt of a qualifying benefit therefore entitlement is considered only if you are considered to have a low income as per the Dundee City income thresholds.

For those who do not meet the criteria for a Self Isolation Support Grant but who are experiencing financial hardship and are unable to meet your daily living expenses, you may be entitled to a Crisis Grant. Apply to the Scottish Welfare Fund or find out more.