Protection Level 3 - Frequently Asked Questions

Protection Level 3 - Frequently Asked Questions container

Protection Level 3 - Frequently Asked Questions content

This guide is intended to help citizens understand and follow the current approach to Coronavirus restrictions, keeping themselves and others safe and reducing transmission of the virus.

With varying protection levels applying in different parts of the country, it’s particularly important that people are aware of the rules around travel, and also what guidance applies in areas they may want to visit. If you are not sure which level applies, use the postcode checker tool. You may find this 'at a glance' version of the Level 3 restrictions handy too.

This FAQ will be updated regularly. It is only indended to be a summary of the current guidelines - more detailed advice for a wide variety of circumstances can be found on the Scottish Government website.

Why is Dundee in Level 3?

The current level for Dundee has been determined by the Scottish Government in conjunction with public health officials, and in discussion with the city council and others. It reflects a number of local factors, including the prevalence and transmission of Coronavirus (Covid-19) in the city.

Can I see family and friends?

As has been the case for the past few weeks, up to six people from two households can continue to meet outdoors and in hospitality settings such as cafes and restaurants. However, with limited exceptions such as extended households, you should not meet people within your own home.

What does Level 3 mean for travel?

There should be no non-essential travel into and out of the city. There are exemptions for people who need to travel into, or out of, the city for essential work, education, care, shopping or health reasons. If you have a medical appointment which requires travel into or out of the city then you can attend this.

It is also permitted to come into or leave the city to reach a place to take outdoor exercise (but please stay within around five miles of your own local authority area). Travel into or out of the city is permitted for shared parenting or to attend weddings and funerals.

You can travel into or out of Dundee between the two parts of an extended household, to provide care and assistance to a vulnerable person, or to avoid injury, illness or to escape a risk of harm.

Transit through the city (eg driving from one area outwith Dundee to another via the Kingsway) is allowed.

Non-essential use of public transport should be avoided. Remember that if you are on public transport, you must wear a face covering unless exempt. People should also avoid car sharing with anyone from outside their household wherever possible. Active travel – walking, cycling etc – is encouraged.

What does it mean for work?

Homeworking has been a crucial factor in mitigating the transmission of the virus amongst the general population. Until it is deemed safe for workplaces to reopen, working from home and working flexibly will remain the default for those who can.

Where homeworking is not possible, businesses and organisations are encouraged to manage travel demand through staggered start times and flexible working patterns.

I live in Dundee but work elsewhere. What should I do?

The default position remains that anyone who can work from home should continue to do so. If it is essential that you travel to another area for work then you can do so. Avoid car sharing where possible and, if you have to use public transport, wear a face covering unless you are exempt.

I live outwith Dundee but work in the city. What should I do?

As with the above, the default position remains that anyone who can work from home should continue to do so. If it is essential that you travel into the city for work then you can do so. Avoid car sharing where possible and, if you have to use public transport, wear a face covering unless you are exempt.

What does Level 3 mean for schools?

Keeping schools open for the safe education of young people is a priority. Under the level three restrictions, schools remain open with enhanced protective measures in place. In addition to previous arrangements regarding the wearing of face coverings, pupils in the senior phase (S4-6) and their teachers should wear face coverings in classrooms, as well as when they are moving around the school and in communal areas (some limited exemptions apply). Individual secondaries may also ask younger pupils to wear a face covering in class.

I have younger children. What childcare arrangements are allowed?

Early learning facilities and formal childcare can continue to operate, with enhanced protective measures in place. Informal childcare is allowed with restrictions on numbers.

What about universities and colleges?

The current protection level means that universities and colleges must offer only restricted blended learning. Please contact your university or college directly for further information.

There’s lots of Coronavirus-related advice and support for students on the Tayside Cares website.

I am on the shielding list. What does this mean for me?

While this is not a return to the restrictions which were in place during lockdown, you should try to reduce contact with others. Limit meeting people outside your own household and avoid indoor public spaces as much as possible. It’s important that you strictly follow the guidelines when shopping and limit the number of times you go to the shops, visiting at quieter times wherever possible. If you can’t work from home, speak to your employer to ensure all appropriate protections are in place. If these cannot be implemented, discuss getting a fit note with your GP or clinician.

All of this is advice – please consider which level of protection is right for you. If you require assistance, please contact the helpline on 0800 111 4000.

I have a child who is on the shielding list. What should I do?

Parents or guardians should discuss with their GP or clinician whether children on the shielding list should still attend school or formal childcare.

I’m not on the shielding list but am in need of support. What should I do?

Lifeline support is available to people in Dundee who have been asked to self-isolate under measures prevent the spread of Coronavirus, or who are otherwise vulnerable and in urgent need of help.

Wherever possible, arrangements for the supply of essentials such as groceries and medicines during the period of self-isolation should be organised through family, friends, neighbours or community providers.

Anyone who cannot access such support and is in urgent need of help should apply online or contact the Council on the telephone number below.

Apply for Assistance

Helpline number: 0300 123 1403 (8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).

I care for someone who is vulnerable. How does this affect me?

You can continue to provide care and assistance for a vulnerable person, following all hygiene and social distancing guidance. Travel into or out of Dundee to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person is also permitted.

Can I visit a care home? 

Care home visits are allowed. Some restrictions remain in place on visiting, and you should check with the care home prior to any visit to understand any measures that are in place.  

What sport and exercise is permitted under Level 3 restrictions?

All outdoor exercise is allowed, except contact sports for over 18s (professional sports have an exemption). Please continue to exercise regularly if you can, taking advantage of the many green spaces in our city, but avoid crowded areas wherever possible.

Indoors, unless you are aged under 18, you should only take part in individual exercise. Classes and group exercise sessions are not permitted.

Will the shops remain open?

All shops can remain open. Customers and staff should continue to follow the public health guidance on face coverings and social distancing. City residents are encouraged to shop in Dundee and only travel outwith to other areas for essential shopping that cannot be done locally.

What does it mean for cafes, pubs and restaurants?

Cafes, pubs and restaurants can open until 6pm, but alcohol cannot be sold either indoors or outdoors. You must be seated at a table while eating and drinking. Takeaway alcohol and food sales can continue. Hotels and other accommodation can continue to be able to serve evening meals to residents.

What about leisure and entertainment?

Leisure and entertainment venues are not permitted to open under the restrictions. Examples of this include cinemas, amusement arcades, soft play, funfairs, indoor bowling, theatres, snooker/pool halls, music venues, casinos, bingo halls, nightclubs and adult entertainment.

Can I get my hair cut or visit a beautician?

Close contact services, such as hairdressers, barbers and beauticians can remain open, but may be subject to additional protective measures. Remember that customers should wear a face covering at all times within the premises.

Mobile hairdressing and barbering can continue in Level 3. All other mobile close contact services will not be able to operate.

Are driving lessons allowed?

Yes, these are permitted under the current protection level.

I am planning to visit Dundee for work or leisure. Is this allowed?

People should only be travelling into Dundee for essential purposes. Hotels, B&Bs etc can open, but only for essential, work-related use. The guidance discourages the use of accommodation for leisure/tourism purposes by people from outwith the city.

What Council services are affected?

In line with the guidance, we will continue to offer essential face-to-face services. Please use online service on this website wherever possible. For the latest information on Council services, visit our updates page.

When will the level change?

The levels throughout Scotland will be reviewed weekly. However, it is likely that levels will generally remain in place for at least two to four weeks to give time for measures to have an effect on the transmission of the virus.