School and nursery arrangements content
All schools have re-opened for full-time in-school learning.
Children and young people on the shielding list have also returned to school, college or formal childcare. The only exception to this is if their clinical team has advised otherwise.
Face coverings and social distancing
Secondary pupils are being asked to wear face coverings inside school, as well as at shops and on public transport, unless they have an exemption. However, strict 2 metre physical distancing between pupils in secondary schools will be removed with other mitigations in place.
Staff and pupils should ensure they:
- bring their own face coverings to school;
- store these safely in a washable, sealable bag or container when not in use;
- wash reusable face coverings in hot water at the end of each day; and
- safely and hygienically dispose of disposable face coverings after use.
Please remember that a face covering can be as simple as a scarf, snood or other piece of cloth which covers the nose and mouth.
Schools will also arrange for a limited supply of face coverings to be available. If you think you may have difficulty in sourcing a face covering or if you feel that your child or young person should be exempt, please contact your school directly.
Tests for Secondary School Pupils
All secondary pupils are being encouraged to take twice-weekly tests as part of a range of measures to help keep schools safe.
Communication from their school outlines how they can take part in the testing process and also pick up their Lateral Flow Device (LFD) test kits.
Twice-weekly tests will also be available for all school staff in primary, secondary and special schools.
Advice for parents and carers
There are 5 important steps to follow to help our schools and childcare settings stay open.
- Please wear a face covering at drop off / pick up.
- Make it easier to keep 2 metres apart by choosing one parent to do drop off / pick-up.
- Keep 2 metres apart from other adults.
- Avoid car-sharing and limit use of public transport.
- Self-isolate if anyone in your household has symptoms.
School meals are available as usual in schools. If your child is registered for free school meals, free school meals will still be available, and payment will be required for those pupils who would normally pay for meals.
Free meals will be available as usual in nursery for all children attending.