A new application form must be completed at the start of each academic session.
Pupils who have previously been in receipt of an EMA or those who will be eligible from August 2018, please apply NOW!
What is EMA?
EMA is part of the Scottish Executive's agenda of encouraging access to, and participation in, further and higher education by young people from low-income families.
EMA provides financial support for 16 – 19 year olds who stay on in full time non advanced education or a community/voluntary Activity programme after their statutory school leaving date.
Do you qualify for EMA?
- Were you born between 1 March 1999 and 28 February 2003?
- Do you attend a Dundee school or do you reside in the Dundee area and are you undertaking a programme of learning in a community or voluntary setting?
- Was your 2017-18 household income:
- £24,421 per annum or less (for families with a single dependent child) or
- £26,884 per annum or less (families with more than one dependent child)?
Students attending college full time may also be eligible for EMA but should contact the college direct for further information or to obtain an application form.
EMA is a weekly allowance of £30 payable to eligible young people who have achieved 100% attendance per week. It is payable in arrears, generally on a 2 weekly basis.
How to apply for EMA?
Application forms can be submitted online:
Please refer to the EMA Frequently Asked Questions if you have any questions when completing your application. You can also contact the EMA Team by email at email@example.com if you require further guidance.
- To be eligible for weekly payments the student must complete a Learning Agreement with the school/keyworker and, payment can start when the Learning Agreement is returned to EMA Team
- Payments are made fortnightly in arrears to the student's bank account depending on attendance and compliance with the requirements of their Learning Agreement (98KB PDF). Please see the Payment Date Sheet (31KB PDF) and EMA Pupil Handbook (120KB PDF) for more information.
Downloads / Links
Read our Frequently Asked Questions (344KB PDF)
Tel: 01382 433749
Customer Services & IT
Dundee House, 50 North Lindsay Street
Dundee DD1 3YJ