Council Tax Discounts

Council Tax Discounts

If you are the only adult living in a property you can get a 25% discount.

When working out how many people live in a property, some people are not counted. These are called disregarded people.

If any of the following people live in your home, they may be disregarded and you may get a 25% discount.

  • Full-time students/student nurses
  • Apprentices
  • Youth training trainees
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, a partner, or child under 18
  • People who are in detention or are detained in hospital

You can apply for a property discount by downloading and completing an application form, which can be found in our forms section.

Did you know? From 1 April 2018, young care leavers are entitled to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption.

New legislation has been passed effective from 1 April 2018 which may allow for a reduction in Council Tax for a young person leaving care.

Who is a Care Leaver?

A care leaver is someone who:

  • Is at least 18 years of age but not year 26 years of age;
  • Was, on their 16th birthday or any subsequent time looked after by a local authority; and is
  • No longer looked after by the local authority

If you meet the criteria above please contact Customer Services on 01382 431205 or discuss with the Through Care and After Care Team on 01382 438632.

Empty property discount

From April 2015 Local authorities have the discretion to modify the discount available on second homes and long term empty properties to a level between 10% and 50%. 

An 'empty property' is defined as a property, which is both unoccupied and unfurnished.
A 'long term empty property' is a property that has been unoccupied and unfurnished for more than 12 months.
A 'second home' is defined as a furnished property, which is no one's sole or main residence and is occupied for at least 25 days per year.

The list below describes the council tax discounts available for the following unoccupied properties :-

You can apply for a property discount by submitting an application form.

In some cases your home may be exempt from Council Tax. This means you will not have to pay any Council Tax for your home. (see Council Tax Exemptions).