Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction - Students

If you are a full-time student you may qualify for help with your Rent and/or Council Tax if you fall into one of the following categories:

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction if you are:-

  • Aged 60 years or more
  • Lone Parent
  • Disabled
  • In receipt of Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
  • Student couple with dependent children
  • Student aged under 21 and following a course of further education: for example, leading to Higher, Standard Grade or other non-advanced course

Partners of students, who are not students themselves, are eligible to claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction on behalf of the couple. The student cannot make the claim.

For more information, download our leaflet which explains Student Benefits in more detail.

The quickest way to apply is by completing an online application form.

To request an application form be issued in the post, email revenues.division@dundeecity.gov.uk or call our Customer Services Team by dialling 01382 431205.

Opening hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 8.30am - 5.00pm; Wednesday 9.30am - 5.00pm. Calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes.