Dundee City Archives hold a collection of acquired maps and plans. We also hold plans that were used by the City Engineer and other officials.
What can I view online?
You can view a wide variety of maps on the National Library of Scotland’s website. These include Ordnance Survey maps, town plans, regional maps, geological, military and estate maps.
What can I view at Dundee City Archives?
- Crawford's 1776 map of Dundee (GD/X716 and other copies)
- 1821 map of Dundee by John Wood (GD/X1282)
- 1846 map of Dundee by Charles Edward (GD/X1282)
- Photocopy of map of Lochee, 1851 (GD/X1175)
- Burgh of Dundee Survey by James Collie, 1851 to 1852
- Parliamentary plans of street tramway, water and gas improvements, 1870 to 1966
- Ordnance Survey Maps 1871 and 1901 (1:500 scale) (1871 available on National Library of Scotland website - under town plans)
- Survey of Burgh of Broughty Ferry, 1908 (BF/TC)
- Goad Fire Insurance Plans, 1887-1961 (GD/Mus/122)
- Plan of Dundee including tramway routes, 1948 (GD/X151)
- Plus many more.
If you are interested in maps of Dundee, contact us to find out what other maps we hold.
Contact the Archives
Telephone: 01382 434494
Postal Address: 21 City Square, Dundee DD1 3BY