Services for Men

Men's Advice Line

This is a confidential helpline for any man experiencing domestic violence and abuse from a partner (ex-partner). The Advice Line offers practical advice, information and emotional support to male victims of domestic violence, as well as to concerned friends and family. They aim to increase safety of men experiencing domestic violence and help them to reduce risk.

Opening Hours:  Monday to Friday, 9 am - 5 pm
Telephone:  Freephone: 0808 801 0327 (free from landlines and from mobiles using the O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Three (3), Virgin and Vodafone networks).

Victim Support

Victim Support provides free and confidential emotional and practical assistance and information about the criminal justice process. Victim Support operate a local service in Dundee.

Opening Hours:  Monday to Friday, 10 am - 4 pm
Telephone:  01382 305707

Men can refer themselves via the Victim Support website.

What will Social Work Services do if I report the abuse / violence?

Social Work Services want to work with you to make sure that any child or young person in your family is safe. Their priority is the protection of children and young people.

Social Work Services aim is to offer you and your family support to help you to cope with the violence / abuse that you are experiencing. They know that lots of children and young people are in households where violence / abuse occur and want to prevent harm. They will consider all the information they have about you and your family and consider all of the options available (which may include child protection procedures if there is significant risk to your children). They might also decide to pass the information on to a group of professionals to help decide what to do next.

Police Scotland, Domestic Abuse Officers and Sexual Offences Liaison Officers

There are specialist police officers who are trained to work with anyone affected by abuse.

Police Scotland Domestic Abuse Officer: 101
Police Scotland Sexual Offences Liaison Officer: 101

View more about Dundee’s adult support and protection services.

What will the police do if I report the abuse / violence?

The police will carry out a full investigation about the incident that you have reported. They will want to talk with you and anyone else who might have witnessed, or have information about, the incident. The police will also want to talk to the person who has been accused of perpetrating the abuse / violence. They will record all of the evidence and information that they find.

When the police respond to an incident, they will ask you if any children or young people are part of the family. If they are, the police officer will complete a form about what has happened. If there is enough concern about the child or young person, the information will be given to a group of professionals (drawn from the police, health, social work, education, housing and the voluntary sector) to consider. The aim of this group is to make sure children and young people are safe and to consider whether there are any supports that might help the child, young person, parent or carer. If the group considers your child, then you might receive a letter telling you about what it has decided. Find out more about this group.

Whether or not any further action can be taken against the perpetrator depends on the evidence available. If there is enough evidence, the police can report the incident to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS). COPFS will look at all the evidence and decide whether or not the perpetrator should be prosecuted.

The police will also contact you to offer you further information and support. This will normally be special officers called Domestic Abuse Liaison Officers or Sexual Offences Liaison Officers. These officers can also help you to contact local support services.

«Back to Information for Men