The aim of the Trading Standards service is to ensure a fair and safe trading environment within Dundee and to protect the interests of local consumers and businesses. Trading Standards is responsible for enforcing a wide range of legislation, covering the following subjects -
- Weights and measures - weighing and measuring equipment "in use for trade" must be tested and verified before use and operate to strict tolerances
- Pricing - most goods on display for sale must be priced, special rules apply when dealing with sales etc
- Consumer credit - specific requirements relate to advertising, licensing, documentation etc
- Safety - All goods on sale to the public must be safe, specific regulations relate to many goods eg toys, fireworks
- Petroleum & Explosives - Licences for the storage of petroleum and explosives are issued by this Department
- Under Age Sales - Ensuring goods such as solvents, cigarettes and fireworks are not sold to persons under the appropriate age
- Fair Trading - Preventing traders from acting unfairly against buyers, including unfair contract terms and the restriction of consumers rights
- Quality & Environment - Enforcing controls relating to fertilisers, feeding stuffs and pesticides
- Counterfeiting and trademark issues - From cigarettes, to DVDs and CDs, computer games, clothing, perfume and car parts
- Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading - Introduced a general ban on unfair trading and means that traders must act in a way that enables the average consumer to make free and informed purchasing decisions. It also outlaws aggressive sales techniques and bans a number of unfair practices that might misinform or mislead consumers
For consumer advice please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 08454 040506 http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s.htm
Looking for a Tradesman? Use the Trusted Trader Scheme.
Trusted Trader is based on word of mouth. Before choosing a firm to work in your home look at what previous customers have said about them on the website. All that we ask is that you complete a survey form after you have employed a Trusted Trader.
Find a trusted trader at www.trustedtrader.info or contact 01382 433710
Are you a business looking for advice?
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- by phone on 01382 433710
by post at Environmental Protection, Environment Department,
3 City Square, Dundee DD1 3BA
Not a Dundee resident or business? Find your local service at www.tradingstandards.gov.uk