Syrian Appeal
Rent Consultation
How Can We Help You?
Rate this page/information
Rate as Good   Rate as Average   Rate as Poor

Applying for a Council House

Lettings Centre
East District Housing Office
169 Pitkerro Road
Dundee DD4 8ES Map
Tel: 0300 123 9023 or 01382 307400


Why apply for council housing in Dundee?
Choosing Dundee City Council as your landlord has many benefits, including:
- affordable rents
- no deposit required
- secure tenancies
- full repairs service
- district housing office services
- low cost home contents insurance

Who can apply?
Anyone who is 16 years or over and wishes to have a council home in Dundee.

How do I apply?
You will need to complete an application form. You can get one at any of our housing offices or you can phone the Lettings Centre, Tel: 0300 123 9023 or 01382 307400 to have one sent to you. We will be happy to help you complete your application form.

What happens next?
Your form will be registered and we will send you an acknowledgement of the details you have given us. If we have all the information we need to assess your form, we will send you this acknowledgement within 15 working days.

The council will carry out pre-tenancy checks before offering you a tenancy. This means that we may ask you to attend an interview to check the information on your application about your household/family and your present and previous accommodation.

How long will I have to wait for a house?
This will depend on the house type and area you have asked for. You can contact the Lettings Centre or any of the housing offices to discuss this and find out how long it will be for the property/s you have asked for.

What if I need housing urgently?
You should contact the Lettings Centre or any of the housing offices, where staff can give you advice on your housing options.

What happens if I am homeless?
If you are homeless or may become homeless within the next 2 months you should contact the Homeless Services Unit, Tel: 01382 432001. The staff there can offer advice, assistance and arrange temporary accommodation if needed. You can also call the 24hr Homeless Advice Line on 0800 633 5843.

What if I want a sheltered house?
If you or your partner are aged 60 or over you can apply for sheltered housing. These houses are in most areas of the city and they all have double glazing and central heating. A warden call service is also available.

What if I want a very sheltered house?
If you need to know more about this type of housing you can contact the Lettings Centre, Tel: 0300 123 3093 or 01382 307400.

If I am disabled, what type of housing can I get?
In the first instance you may be able to get some alterations made to your current home to meet your special needs. If you need more than that, your present house may be suitable to be adapted for you.

If this cannot be done you can be considered for an adapted house that will meet your specific needs. For more information you should contact the Special Needs Team, Tel: 01382 434135 or 434364.