Ukraine invasion

Ukraine invasion container

Ukraine invasion content

Dundee stands ready to help people affected by the invasion of Ukraine. The Council has welcomed refugees from around the world and, working with partner agencies and supportive communities, we are ready to play our part again.

Donate to help the people of Ukraine:

One of the best ways to help is by donating cash through trusted charities and aid organisations, rather than donating goods. Cash can be transferred quickly to areas where it's needed, and individuals and aid organisations can use it to buy what is most needed.

Unsolicited donations of goods, although well-meant, can obstruct supply chains and delay more urgent life-saving assistance from getting through.

Organisations across the UK are gathering essential supplies, such as clothes, first aid and sanitary products. Many charities and community groups will have lists of items they need. Charities with experience of responding to disasters are best placed to reach victims on the ground.

National sources of advice:

Government advice and policy decisions are changing regularly. Check these sources for the latest guidance:

Visit: Support for family members of British nationals in Ukraine, and Ukrainian nationals in Ukraine and the UK - GOV.UK ( for advice on:

  • Family Migration Visa (for immediate family members of a British National)
  • Ukrainian Family Scheme (for extended family members)
  • Local Sponsorship Scheme for Ukraine (for those without ties to the UK)
  • Ukrainian’s who remain in the UK with leave due to expire

Scheme Open for Displaced Ukrainians:

Like all Scottish Local authorities, Dundee City Council are working closely with both the UK and Scottish Governments to support those displaced by events in Ukraine.

It can be confusing trying to navigate the different schemes which are in operation so the following information is designed to assist anyone who may be seeking to welcome someone from Ukraine to Dundee:
If you are bringing relatives to the UK under the Family Visa Scheme, we would direct you to the UK Government information on this scheme.

The UK Government is responsible for this scheme and the Council does not have a role to plan in it unless your arriving family members will have nowhere to stay when they arrive. In this scenario you should contact the Council’s Housing Options Service (0800 633 5843 or where Council staff will be able to advise and assist.
If you are taking part on the Homes for Ukraine community sponsorship scheme, we are now receiving information from the Scottish Government to allow us to undertake some necessary checks to allow us to progress your offer of accommodation.

You will be written to by Scottish Government to outline the checks that are required and to seek your agreement to these being undertaken.

Once you have agreed, we will undertake these are promptly as possible and would ask for your patience in this matter.

One of the checks involves an inspection of the accommodation that you are offering so we will need to make arrangements to carry this out.

Council staff will contact you so please bear with us as we work through the necessary processes.

The following is the latest Scottish Government guidance which may provide answers to any initial questions that you have regarding the Homes for Ukraine scheme. - Homes for Ukraine Scheme: frequently asked questions - questions and answers on how the Ukraine scheme will work.

We will regularly review and update our website information on support for those displaced from Ukraine.

Please refer to this information in the first instance if you have any queries. 

See also: