Privacy Statement for Pupil Data Collection Form

Last updated on Mon, 20/08/2018 - 14:56

Dundee City Council is a local authority established under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994. Its head office is located at City Square, Dundee, DD1 3BY.

Why do we need your personal information and what do we do with it?
You are giving us your personal information to permit us to:

  • identify the pupil
  • support pupil learning
  • monitor and report on pupil progress
  • provide appropriate pastoral care and keep pupils safe

We may also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by post, email or telephone and to maintain our records.

Who do we share your information with?
Your details will be accessed by school and central Admin staff who need to do so in order to provide the service. We may be required to share the data with other agencies to support the pupil as per the above points. e.g.

  • SEEMIS for processing your data
  • Parents/Carers to involve them in your education
  • School transport if required
  • NHS to allow vision screening, dental care, inoculations etc.
  • SQA to set provision of national exams
  • Tayside Contracts (School Catering)
  • Scottish Government for reasons of census and any other requests
  • Skills Development Scotland to support you in achieving a positive destination after completing your education
  • Other schools and council to pass on information about your education when moving
  • Groupcall to enable schools to communicate with people who have been noted as a pupil contact
  • Glow to allow access to education resources on a secure platform and provide email
  • Dundee City Council ICT Dept. to enable computer logins to be created
  • Child Protection and Multi Agency Protection – when necessary
  • Social Work – when necessary
  • Education Psychology, MSS, and other services to support your education.
  • Other services connected with education for statistical analysis

Where required, we may share this information with other public bodies (and also receive information from these other bodies) for fraud checking purposes. We are also legally obliged to share certain data with others such as HMRC and will do so where the law requires this. We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate. This data sharing is in accordance with our Information Use and Privacy Policy and covered in our full privacy statement on our website. It also forms part of our requirements in line with our Records Management Plan approved in terms of the Public Records (Scotland) Act 2011.

The legal bases for collecting your information in these circumstances are:
Legal Obligation:

  • Education (Scotland) Act 2008
  • Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2009
  • Equality Act 2010
  • Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006
  • Standards in Scotland’s Schools etc. Act 2000
  • Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014
  • Article 9 Data Protection Act 2018. We also require special category information (also known as ‘sensitive personal data’) such as health details and/or additional support needs information. When we are using this more sensitive type of personal information, our legal basis is usually that we require the information for reasons of substantial public interest for aims that are proportionate and which contain appropriate safeguarding measures.

How long do we keep your information for?
We only keep your personal information for the minimum period amount of time necessary. Sometimes this time period is set out in the law, but in most cases it is based on the business need. The Council uses the Scottish Council Records Retention Education Schedule No.10. as the basis for its practice and your information will be stored until 26th birthday. We also use Looked After Children and Adoption Act Regulations Part XI Case Records Regulations 43 (1) which requires a child’s records to be kept for 100 years from his or her date of birth.

Your  Rights under Data Protection Law:
Access to your information – you have the right to access the information we hold on you. There are two ways to access your data:
Subject Access Request: you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you.
Data Portability: you can ask us for a copy of your information so that you can re-use it and we will provide it in a machine-readable format. This is a qualified right, which means it only applies in certain circumstances and only relates to information you have given directly to us.
Correcting your information – we want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. Therefore you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
Deleting your information – you have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where.

  • You think that we no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained.
  • You have a genuine objection to our use of your personal information – you have the right at any time to tell us to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
  • Our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.

Restricting how we may use your information – In some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information that we hold about you or we are assessing the objection you have made to our use of your information. This right might also apply if we no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don't want us to delete the data. Where this right is realistically applied will mean that we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.

Please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer by post at the above address, by email at: (link sends e-mail) and by telephone on 01382 434206 if you wish to exercise any of these rights.

we aim to directly resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, and Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit their website for more information at