Accreditation for Landlords
Dundee Landlord Accreditation
3 City Square
Dundee DD1 3BA
Tel: 01382 307118
Dundee Landlord Accreditation (DLA) has been set up by local landlords and letting agents, along with Dundee City Council, to promote and recognise those who take a responsible approach to letting their properties.
Membership of Dundee Landlord Accreditation is free and is open to any private landlord or letting agent in Dundee.
What are the main aims?
- Improve standards of property and management in Dundee’s private rented market.
- Enhance the reputation of landlords and letting agents committed to improving the quality of management and accommodation.
- Allow current and future tenants to find good landlords and make informed choices about renting in the private market.
What is Accreditation?
Accredited landlords and letting agents must keep to a voluntary Code of Standards relating to the management and physical condition of their property.
Acceptance as an accredited landlord relies on self-certification by the landlord or letting agent stating that their property and management practice meet the Code of Standards. However, random property and tenant inspections will be carried out by Dundee Landlord Accreditation to ensure these standards are being maintained.
What are the benefits of being Accredited?
- The status of being publicly identified as a good landlord.
- Distancing yourselves from incompetent or unscrupulous landlords.
- The business advantage of advertising your accredited status to tenants who place emphasis on good quality and well managed accommodation.
It is also anticipated that accredited status will bring landlords the following general but important benefits:
- A lower turnover of tenants, producing savings on re-letting and reducing loss of income from voids.
- A decrease in abuse of properties.
- An advantage over other providers in attracting new and better tenants.
- A better image with potential lenders.
- Improved contact and advice from the Council.
What are the benefits for tenants?
- Confidence that your landlord is professional and reputable.
- Assurance that the Accreditation Scheme Code of Standards will be followed.
- Information regarding rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
- Provision of a Tenancy Handbook.
Membership of Dundee Landlord Accreditation
Membership of Dundee Landlord Accreditation is free and all members are entitled to the following:
DLA Logo - Members are entitled to use the DLA Logo on adverts, letterheads, their website etc. to display their accredited status.
Tenancy Handbook - A guide for landlords and tenants, outlining their rights and responsibilities. The handbook also details information on tenancy agreements, deposits, harassment and how to end a tenancy.
Advertising Discount - Receive 10% discount off the advertising fees with The Courier and The Evening Telegraph.
Landlord Seminars - Training/information seminars on a variety of relevant subjects including Antisocial Behaviour, Housing Benefits, Landlord Registration, HMO Licensing, New Legislation, Tenancy Agreements and Evictions. Details of forthcoming events can be found at: www.dundeecity.gov.uk/housing/privatesector/
Taycard - Membership of the Taycard corporate discount scheme with various discounts available in numerous retail, leisure and professional outlets.
Improvement and Repair of Private Sector Properties - The Private Sector Services Unit can provide advice, information and limited financial assistance to owners, landlords and private tenants to enable them to deal with a range of housing related matters. Telephone 01382 436880/436893 for further information.
Dundee Energy Efficiency Advice Project - Free property survey with recommendations on how to improve energy efficiency also assistance in sourcing funding for the works. Free home visit to your tenants with advice and recommendations on all energy issues including efficiency, prevention of condensation, fuel debt and billing problems.
For further information contact Dundee Landlord Accreditation.