Housing Options in Dundee - Deciding what you want content
Before you start looking for a home to rent you should think about what area you want to live in, what type/size of house you need and how much you can afford to pay.
- Properties for rent are located throughout the city, ranging from flatted properties to luxury homes. The majority of properties for rent are located in the West End, the City Centre, Stobswell and Broughty Ferry. There are also private rented properties in most council estates.
- You will have to think about travelling times/distances e.g. to work, school or nursery.
- You will have to decide if you want somewhere to yourself or share with other people.
- Think carefully about what your needs are e.g.
- the number of rooms you need, don't overcrowd a property
- ground floor due to medical/mobility issues
What can you afford
- Work out your budget carefully and be clear about what you can afford or you could end up with debts.
- Make a detailed list of all your outgoings
- Rent - adverts will give you an idea of average rents
- Council Tax - contact the Council Tax Office, Tel: 0800 250025
- Electricity/Gas - suppliers can give you average costs for the size of property you are looking for
- Food - allow £30 a week for each person
- Other costs....TV licence, insurance, furniture