Who we are:
Dundee City Council is a local authority established under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994. Its head office is located at City Square, Dundee, DD1 3BY and you can contact our Data Protection Officer by post at this address, by email at: email@example.com, and by telephone on 01382 434206.
Why do we need your personal information and what do we do with it?
You are giving us your personal information to allow us to carry out repairs to council housing stock and associated council buildings or mutual areas. We also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by post, email or telephone and to maintain our records.
Legal basis for using your information:
We provide these services to you as part of our statutory function as your local authority. You can find more details of our role on our website at www.dundeecity.gov.uk/service-area/chief-executive/chief-executives-serv.... Processing your personal information is:
- Necessary for the council to be able to carry out repairs to our buildings.
- Necessary for compliance with the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 which allows the council to take enforcement action to undertake all individual and mutual repairs.
Who do we share your information with?
How long do we keep your information for?
We only keep your personal information for the minimum period amount of time necessary. Sometimes this time period is set out in the law, but in most cases it is based on the business need. For repairs work to council housing, we retain data for 10 years.
Your rights under data protection law:
- Access to your information – you have the right to access the information we hold on you. There are two ways to access your data:
Subject Access Request: you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you.
Data Portability: you can ask us for a copy of your information so that you can re-use it and we will provide it in a machine-readable format. This is a qualified right, which means it only applies in certain circumstances and only relates to information you have given directly to us.
- Correcting your information – we want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. Therefore you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
- Deletion of your information – you have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where:
- you think that we no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained
- you have a genuine objection to our use of your personal information – see Objecting to how we may use your information below
- our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.
Objecting to how we may use your information – You have the right at any time to tell us to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
Restricting how we may use your information – in some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information that we hold about you or we are assessing the objection you have made to our use of your information. This right might also apply if we no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don't want us to delete the data. Where this right is realistically applied will mean that we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.
Please contact us as stated above if you wish to exercise any of these rights.
Information you have given us about other people:
If you have provided anyone else’s details on this form, please make sure that you have told them that you have given their information to Dundee City Council. We will only use this information to contact those people if we are unable to contact you. If they want any more information on how we will use their information they can visit our web site at https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/service-area/chief-executive/chief-executi... or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We aim to directly resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit their website for more information at- https://ico.org.uk/concerns
For more details on how we process your personal information visit www.dundeecity.gov.uk/service-area/chief-executive/chief-executives-serv...