Privacy Statement for Musical Instruction/Loan of Musical Instrument

Last updated on Mon, 20/08/2018 - 14:17

Dundee City Council is a local authority established under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994. Its head office is located at City Square, Dundee, DD1 3BY.

Why do we need your personal information and what do we do with it?

You are giving us your personal information to permit us to:

  • Provide you with musical instruction
  • Allow access to musical instrument loan if required
  • Support Learning
  • Monitor and report on progress
  • Monitor progress and develop good practice in all service areas
  • Assess how well the Instrumental Music Service is doing

We may also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by email or telephone and to maintain our records.

Who do we share your information with?

Your information will be shared with Instrumental Instructors. It may also be shared with Principal Teachers of Music, Primary School Depute Head Teachers and Secondary School Business Managers. A copy may be sent electronically to central admin staff for record maintenance.

Legal Basis for requiring information

Consent: We require your consent to process this information. If you do not give consent we will be unable to provide you with this service.

How long do we keep your information?

We will retain your personal information only for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which we have collected it and in accordance with statutory requirements. Personal information will be held for 6 months after instrumental tuition has stopped or after your child has left school. After this it will be deleted.

Your Rights under Data Protection Law:

Access to your information – you have the right to access the information we hold on you. There are two ways to access your data:

Subject Access Request: you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you.

Data Portability: you can ask us for a copy of your information so that you can re-use it and we will provide it in a machine-readable format. This is a qualified right, which means it only applies in certain circumstances and only relates to information you have given directly to us.

Correcting your information – we want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. Therefore you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.

Deleting your information – you have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where

  • you think that we no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained.
  • you have a genuine objection to our use of your personal information – you have the right at any time to tell us to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
  • we are using that information with your consent and you have withdrawn your consent – see Withdrawing consent to using your information below.
  • our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.

Restricting how we may use your information – In some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information that we hold about you or we are assessing the objection you have made to our use of your information. This right might also apply if we no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don't want us to delete the data. Where this right is realistically applied will mean that we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.

Withdrawing consent to use your information – Where we use your personal information with your consent you may withdraw that consent at any time and we will stop using your personal information for the purpose(s) for which consent was given.

Please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer by post at the above address, by email at: and by telephone on 01382 434206 if you wish to exercise any of these rights.


We aim to directly resolve all complaints about how we handle personal information. However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. Visit their website for more information at