If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs doesn’t cover all your rent and you are having difficulty paying the shortfall, you can apply online for Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).
A DHP can help, for example if you:
- are affected by the introduction of the size criteria in the Social Rented Sector, more commonly known as bedroom tax – this is fully mitigated in Scotland
- are affected by the Local Housing Allowance
- are affected by shared room rate as you are under 35s
- have higher living costs because you are sick or disabled.
- have been affected by the Benefit Cap.
You can supply additional documents and/or information using our online evidence upload form.
With the exception of the size criteria/bedroom tax awards and benefit cap, all other DHP decisions are discretionary and there is no statutory right to a payment. Each application will be treated strictly on its own merits.
There is a limited amount of money available to the Council to provide this help. Due to this, any payment made will be for a short period of time only.