Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

Submit an online DHP application form

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs doesn’t cover all your rent and you are having difficulty paying the shortfall, you can apply online for Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

A DHP can help, for example if you:

  • are affected by the introduction of the size criteria in the Social Rented Sector, more commonly known as bedroom tax – this is fully mitigated in Scotland
  • are affected by the Local Housing Allowance
  • are affected by shared room rate as you are under 35s
  • have higher living costs because you are sick or disabled.
  • have been affected by the Benefit Cap.

You can supply additional documents and/or information using our online evidence upload form.

With the exception of the size criteria/bedroom tax awards and benefit cap, all other DHP decisions are discretionary and there is no statutory right to a payment. Each application will be treated strictly on its own merits.

There is a limited amount of money available to the Council to provide this help. Due to this, any payment made will be for a short period of time only.

You may wish to read our DHP Policy (100 KB PDF) and Guide to DHPs leaflet (262KB PDF) for further information.