If your Housing Benefit doesn’t cover all of your rent and you are having difficulty paying the shortfall, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) to help.
A DHP can help, for example if you:
- are affected by the introduction of the size criteria in the Social Rented Sector and are a foster/kinship carer, or are seeking more suitable accommodation;
- are affected by the introduction of the benefit cap and are seeking employment;
- have been affected by previous Housing Benefit changes such as the extension of the Local Housing Allowance shared room rate to under 35s;
- have higher living costs because you are sick or disabled.
- have been affected by the Benefit Cap.
If we've asked you to provide additional documents and/or information, you don’t need to visit our offices or send documents through the post. You can supply this information using our online evidence upload form.
The award of a DHP is a discretionary decision and there is no statutory right to a payment. Each application will be treated strictly on its own merits.
There is a limited amount of money available to the Council to provide this help. Due to this, any payment made is likely to be for a short period of time only.
If you have any problems or questions regarding completion of the form you can visit one of our enquiry offices or telephone or Customer Services Team by dialling 01382 431205.