How Can We Help You?
Rate this page/information Rate as Good   Rate as Average   Rate as Poor

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit which is administered by the Local Authority on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions.

It provides assistance with the payment of rent to those who are on a low income and can be awarded to those who rent their property from Dundee City Council, a Private Housing Association or Private Landlord for the property which they live in. Housing Benefit does not provide assistance towards any housing costs for a property which is owned by the applicant.

If you rent your property from a Private Landlord, your Housing Benefit will be paid under the Local Housing Allowance scheme.

As part of the on-going Welfare Reform, a size criteria was introduced into Housing Benefit for those in the social rented sector (Council Housing and Housing Associations) on 1st April 2013.

Visit our Benefit Forms page if you wish to apply for Housing Benefit, or to report a change of circumstances.

Am I entitled to Housing Benefit?

How will my Housing Benefit be paid?

Benefit Fraud is a crime, don’t let it happen. Report Housing Benefit fraud.

You might find our Housing Benefit frequently asked questions helpful.

Contact Us

If you have any Housing Benefit queries, you can contact us in the following ways:-

By Email:
Our departmental email address is

By Telephone:
Call our Customer Services Team by dialling 01382 431205.  Opening hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 8.30am - 5.00pm; Wednesday 9.30am - 5.00pm.  Calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes.

By visiting us:
Visit us in person at any of our designated enquiry offices.

By post:
Write to us at the following address:-
Executive Director of Corporate Services
Customer Services and IT
PO BOX 218
Dundee DD1 3YS