Alterations and Improvements

Alterations and Improvements container

Alterations and Improvements content

You have the right to carry out improvements to your Council property, such as fitting a new bathroom suite, replacing kitchen units, erecting a shed or installing a satellite dish.

However, you must first ask for permission and you must carry out any work to the guidelines that we give you. Permission will not be unreasonably refused, but may be subject to certain conditions. We will only refuse permission if the work would cause us expense, make it difficult to let the property in the future or give rise to complaints from other residents.

If permission is not given we will write to you, giving you the reasons. If you are not satisfied with the decision you have the right to appeal to the Sheriff Court.

To apply for permission to carry out your own alterations, please contact your housing office.

You must not start any improvement work until written permission has been given.

If you have carried out approved alteration/improvements and are giving up your tenancy you may be eligible for compensation under the Right to Compensation for Improvements - Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 (227KB PDF). You can discuss this with staff at your housing office.