Housing associations, sometimes called registered social landlords (RSLs), are non-profit making friendly societies. They are run by professional staff and managed by a board of management made up of volunteers. These boards have overall responsibility for the work of the organisation. Board members may include residents, representatives from local authorities and community groups, business people and politicians.
Housing associations provide affordable housing and often work in partnership with the council and others to house people in need and build new homes for rent and for affordable home ownership.
Housing associations get grants from the Scottish Government towards the cost of building homes for rent or shared ownership.
Within Dundee there are 10 housing associations providing a variety of accommodation.
- Abertay Housing Association
- Angus Housing Association
- Bield Housing Association
- Cairn Housing Association
- Caledonia Housing Association
- Hillcrest Housing Association
- Home Scotland
- Margaret Blackwood Housing Association
- Sanctuary Scotland Housing Association
- Scottish Veterans Housing Association