The aim of the Trading Standards service is to ensure a fair and safe trading environment within Dundee and to protect the interests of local consumers and businesses. Trading Standards is responsible for enforcing a wide range of legislation, covering the following subjects -
- Weights and measures - weighing and measuring equipment "in use for trade" must be tested and verified before use and operate to strict tolerances
- Pricing - most goods on display for sale must be priced, special rules apply when dealing with sales etc
- Safety - All goods on sale to the public must be safe, specific regulations relate to many goods eg toys, fireworks. For the latest information on electrical goods which have been subject to a product recall visit http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls/
- Petroleum Storage - Certificates for the storage of petroleum are issued by this Department
- Age Restricted Sales - Ensuring goods such as solvents, cigarettes, e-cigaretts and fireworks are not sold to persons under the appropriate age
- Fair Trading - Preventing traders from acting unfairly against buyers, including unfair contract terms and the restriction of consumers rights
- Rogue Traders and Doorstep Crime - we work closely with colleagues in Police Scotland to help prevent doorstep crime, and investigate incidents that are reported.
- Quality & Environment - Enforcing controls relating to fertilisers, feeding stuffs and pesticides
- Counterfeiting and trademark issues - From cigarettes, to DVDs and CDs, computer games, clothing, perfume and car parts
- Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading - Introduced a general ban on unfair trading and means that traders must act in a way that enables the average consumer to make free and informed purchasing decisions. It also outlaws aggressive sales techniques and bans a number of unfair practices that might misinform or mislead consumers
- Calibration Service - for local businesses we can provide calibration certificates for the accuracy of weights, measures and weighing equipment which are traceable to national standards. Fees available on request.
For consumer advice please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 040506 or visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website.
Are you a business looking for advice?
Not a Dundee resident or business? Find your local service on the Trading Standards Institute website.