The aim of the Trading Standards service is to ensure a fair and safe trading environment within Dundee and to protect the interests of local consumers and businesses. Trading Standards is responsible for enforcing a wide range of legislation, covering the following subjects -
- Weights and measures - weighing and measuring equipment "in use for trade" must be tested and verified before use and operate to strict tolerances
- Pricing - most goods on display for sale must be priced, special rules apply when dealing with sales etc
- Consumer credit - specific requirements relate to advertising, licensing, documentation etc
- Safety - All goods on sale to the public must be safe, specific regulations relate to many goods eg toys, fireworks
- Petroleum & Explosives - Licences for the storage of petroleum and explosives are issued by this Department
- Under Age Sales - Ensuring goods such as solvents, cigarettes and fireworks are not sold to persons under the appropriate age
- Fair Trading - Preventing traders from acting unfairly against buyers, including unfair contract terms and the restriction of consumers rights
- Quality & Environment - Enforcing controls relating to fertilisers, feeding stuffs and pesticides
- Counterfeiting and trademark issues - From cigarettes, to DVDs and CDs, computer games, clothing, perfume and car parts
- Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading - Introduced a general ban on unfair trading and means that traders must act in a way that enables the average consumer to make free and informed purchasing decisions. It also outlaws aggressive sales techniques and bans a number of unfair practices that might misinform or mislead consumers
For consumer advice please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 040506 or visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website.
Are you a business looking for advice?
Not a Dundee resident or business? Find your local service on the Trading Standards Institute website.