Broughty Ferry Conservation Area
The early history of Broughty Ferry is dominated by the 15th century Castle. The town itself grew from humble beginnings as a fishing community. The growth of 'the Ferry' accelerated following the opening of the Dundee to Arbroath Railway in 1838. Many wealthy Dundonians moved to Broughty Ferry to escape the smoke of the city, the "Jute Barons" building their "Palaces" on the hillsides overlooking the town. Less well-off Dundonians visited the town during the holidays, and the Ferry became well know during Victorian and Edwardian times as a seaside resort.
During the 20th century, Broughty Ferry became increasingly dependent on Dundee for its services, notably Water and Tramways. After a long dispute, Dundee finally annexed the Ferry in 1913, in order that the residents should pay their share towards the costs of the services they enjoyed as a suburb of the city. The overall character of the Conservation Area owes much to its relationship with the River Tay. Within the built form of the Conservation Area, it is possible to identify distinct changes in character.
The west end from Church Street to the railway comprises mainly of single and two storey villas. Interesting features in this area are St Stephen's Church and the terrace at James Place. Moving eastwards, the riverfront area between Church Street and Gray Street contains the old fishing village and harbour areas. On Fisher Street small single and two storey cottages predominate, some of which have been improved under the National Trust's 'Little Houses Improvement Scheme'. Close by the new housing at Bell Rock Square is the old graveyard, which contains many interesting headstones.
East of Gray Street, along Beach Crescent, the character of the riverfront changes, the crescent sweeping round to the former rail ferry harbour and the Castle, the buildings of a larger scale. The house on the corner of Beach Crescent and St Vincent Street was the homes of Charles Hunter, who planned the grid iron layout of the town in about 1800. The lamp standards on Beach Crescent are a distinctive feature, some carrying the coat of arms of the old burgh.
Beyond St Vincent Street the character is that of the seaside resort. Castle Green is an attractive area of open space, and moving eastwards attractive two storey terraces look out across the Esplanade to the beach and river.
Other nearby Conservation areas:
- West Ferry Conservation Area
- Grove Conservation Area
- Forthill Conservation Area
- Reres Hill Conservation Area