Law Terraces Conservation Area content
The Law Terraces Conservation Area nestles on the steep slopes of Dundee Law. Imposing neo-classical villas are sited on the lower slopes while terraces of smaller houses from the late 18th century predominate towards the summit. The area is characterised by a strong sense of enclosure, created in part by the steep narrow roads and high stone walls which link the terraces together, while at the same time the War Memorial on the Law above seems all pervading.
The site of the Law Terraces Conservation Area originally belonged to the Estate of Dudhope Castle, home of the hereditary Constables of Dundee, the Scrymgeours. Later it passed into the hands of the Jacobite Leader John Grahame of Claverhouse, the famous "Bonnie Dundee" who was killed at the Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689.
The 1840s were years of depression in Dundee and few buildings of note were built until the end of the decade. When an economic upturn came along, attention focused on the slopes of the Law. Several schemes were produced to cover the hill in neo-classical villas but only a small portion of these grand schemes was ever constructed.
The famous Dundee engineers James and Charles Carmichael built their homes at Nos 10 and 11 Dudhope Terrace. They were responsible for building the first locomotives to run on the Dundee and Newtyle Railway and the engines for the early steam driven Tay Ferries. Another Dundee engineering duo, the Thompson brothers, owned properties at Nos 3 and 4 Somerville Place.
- The Crescents Conservation Area is adjacent