Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction - Childcare costs content
If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction and are paying for child care, the amount you pay may be disregarded from your weekly income in your award calculation.
Who does this apply to?
- Lone parents working at least 16 hours per week.
- Couples where both are working at least 16 hours per week.
- Couples where one partner is working at least 16 hours per week and the other is disabled.
What details do you need?
- The name and address of the person providing care for your child or children.
- Details of the charges paid for each child.
- A certificate of charges for childcare completed by your childcare provider and returned to us to allow your childcare charges to be disregarded.
What kind of childcare can be used?
- Registered childminders.
- Nurseries and playschemes.
- Out of school schemes.
What is the age limit for children?
The qualifying age is from birth to the first Monday in September following their 15th birthday, or in the case of a child who meets the conditions for a disabled premium, the first Monday in September after his or her 16th birthday.
How much will be disregarded from my income?
- A maximum of £175 per week for one child.
- A maximum of £300 per week for two or more children.
What if my circumstances change?
You must tell us about any change in your circumstances within one calendar month of the date of the change. If you do not do this, you may lose out on any increased entitlement.