Housing Options in Dundee - Domestic abuse

What is Domestic Abuse?

Domestic abuse is when you are being abused, threatened, physically or sexually assaulted by a partner, former partner or family member.

As well as actual physical violence, domestic abuse can involve a wide range of abusive and controlling behaviour, such as:

  • Threats
  • Harassment
  • Financial control
  • Emotional abuse
  • Social isolation
  • Sexual exploitation

If you are in a relationship where you are being abused, you may feel frightened, alone and confused -but you are not to blame, no-one deserves to be abused.

If you are a victim of domestic abuse, you don’t have to suffer alone. There are people ready to listen, offer advice and support you.

What are your options?

  • Move temporarily to get time think about your options. This could be with friends, family, refuge accommodation provided by Dundee Women’s Aid or temporary accommodation provided by the Council’s Homeless Unit.
  • Move out of the family home and find somewhere else to stay, for example, with a Housing Association or private landlord
  • Stay in your home with extra security measures, if the abuser doesn’t live with you and you want to remain there
  • Seek legal advice if you want to remove the abuser from the family home
  • Stay with abuser, but seek help

Homeless Services Unit

If you have decided that you want to leave, staff at the Homeless Services Unit can give you practical help and advice.

The Homeless Services Unit is based at the East District Housing Office, 169 Pitkerro Road, Dundee DD4 8ES. Buses that pass near to the Office are the 15 and 17.

You can call the Homelessness Advice Line 0800 633 5843 or 01382 432001, 24 hours a day.

The Homeless Services Unit can:

  • Provide you in safe secure temporary accommodation
  • Give you advice about your housing options and your rights
  • Refer you to Dundee Women’s Aid
  • Help you to contact Housing Associations and private landlords

Dundee Women’s Aid Refuge

This refuge is a safe and secure house where you and their children (if you have them), can stay free from abuse. It offers a temporary breathing space where you can make decisions free from pressure and fear.

Dundee Women’s Aid workers will offer you support and information about your rights, and can also provide support for your children. The support they provide can also continue once you have left refuge and moved into a new home. You can call Dundee Women’s Aid on 01382 207099.

Extra security for your home

The Homeless services Unit, Dundee Women’s Aid and Police Scotland, Tayside Division, Domestic Abuse Officer can help you to arrange extra security measures for your home. This can be done if the abuser does not live with you to help keep them away and make sure that you feel safe.

Help from other agencies

As well as the Homeless Services Unit and Dundee Women’s Aid there are several local agencies that can give you help and support so you can plan for a safe future. You will find contact details for these agencies below.


It doesn’t matter how many times you contact these agencies they will always be happy to help you. Whether you have children or not they will still offer help and support.

Useful telephone numbers

All the agencies listed below will give you advice and information and help you find the way to forward to a safe future.

In an emergency always call the police by dialling 999

  • WISH Project
  • Barnardo’s Tayside Domestic Abuse Initiative, Tel: 01382 596866
  • Dundee North Law Centre, Tel: 01382 307230
  • Shelter, Tel: 0808 800 4444
  • Police Scotland, Tayside Division, Domestic Abuse Officer, Tel: 01382 591912
  • Victim Support, Tel: 01382 305707
  • Citizens Advice Bureau, Tel: 01382 307494
  • Dundee City Council Lettings Centre, Tel: 0300 123 9023 or 01382 307400
  • Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, Tel: 01382 201291