Dundee City Archives hold a collection of acquired maps and plans. We also hold plans that were used by the City Engineer and other officials.
What can I view online?
Before the Ordnance Survey reached Dundee, in 1857 the Burgh commissioned their own detailed map of the City. View this map online.
You can view a wide variety of maps on the National Library of Scotland’s website. These include Ordnance Survey maps, town plans, regional maps, geological, military and estate maps.
What can I view at Dundee City Archives?
- Crawford's 1776 map of Dundee (GD/X716 and other copies)
- 1821 map of Dundee by John Wood (GD/X1282)
- 1846 map of Dundee by Charles Edward (GD/X1282)
- Photocopy of map of Lochee, 1851 (GD/X1175)
- Parliamentary plans of street tramway, water and gas improvements, 1870 to 1966
- Ordnance Survey Maps 1871 and 1901 (1:500 scale) (1871 available on National Library of Scotland website - under town plans)
- Survey of Burgh of Broughty Ferry, 1908 (BF/TC)
- Goad Fire Insurance Plans, 1887-1961 (GD/Mus/122)
- Plan of Dundee including tramway routes, 1948 (GD/X151)
- Plus many more.
If you are interested in maps of Dundee, contact us to find out what other maps we hold.
Where else can I find maps of Dundee?
Other maps of old Dundee are held at Dundee Central Library in the Dundee Local History Map Collection.
If you are looking for places on the outskirts of Dundee, some maps might be held by Angus Archives or Perth and Kinross Archives.
Contact the Archives
Telephone: 01382 434494
Postal Address: 21 City Square, Dundee DD1 3BY