Creative Pathways - Careers within Dundee's Creative Sector content
Dundee and Scotland as a whole have an exciting and ever growing cultural economy. We are proud to share this resource which aims to highlight a range of careers within the creative industries.
To continue to build on our reputation as an innovative and entrepreneurial nation, it is important that our young people are equipped with the correct skills and knowledge to thrive and succeed, in order to grow and sustain Scotland’s economic future.
The aims of the Creative Pathways brochure are to:
- Highlight career pathways within the city and the importance of the role that creative industries will have in Dundee’s future.
- Provide an insight into specific career roles.
- Assist pupils with subject choices, sign-posting them in a creative direction.
- Increase teachers’ knowledge of the creative employment opportunities available for their pupils.
- Highlight what ‘creativity skills’ are.
- Raise awareness of the skills employers are looking for.
- Encourage creative people to remain in the city.
This resource has been informed by national strategies such as: Developing the Young Workforce Scotland’s Youth Employment Strategy, A Time to Shine: Scotland’s Youth Arts Strategy, A Curriculum for Excellence and Scotland’s Creative Learning Plan.
As the creative sector in our city continues to expand many new opportunities will emerge for our young people to follow a creative pathway.
Employability skills are often linked with social skills, and include an understanding of enterprise and vocational learning. By demonstrating job-related competencies such as: initiative, creativity and resilience, a young person can evidence their ability to cope in the workplace in general, rather than for a specific occupation.