If you are a full time student you may be able to get a discount on your Council Tax. In order to do this you need to register for Council Tax and apply for your discount.
You can get a 100% exemption if the property is fully occupied by students or a 25% discount if all but one of the adults living in the property are students.
Please note that:
- It’s your responsibility to apply for Council Tax discount, your landlord can’t do that for you.
- You must advise the Council if you change address or if you are no longer a student.
- Don't ignore a Council Tax bill – contact us to make sure that we are aware you are a student and to confirm if there is any charge due.
- You don’t need to register for Council Tax when you stay in Halls Of Residence (such as the Hub or Parker House). If in doubt, contact us to make sure.
To qualify as a student, you must either:-
- study for at least 21 hours per week and at least 24 weeks in each academic year; or
- be under 20 years old, have left home and be studying for a qualifying course for at least 12 hours a week for three months; or
- be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council.
If you have any other questions, please contact us.