The Licensing Committee have agreed that all drivers should be trained to SVQ level 2 or equivalent by 31st May 2017.
Three courses have been approved. One is an SVQ Level 2 and is being organised by Unite the Union. This course runs on Tuesday between 10.00am to 12 noon and 6pm to 8pm and is free for all Union members. The second is being run by Dundee & Angus College. This is a vocational related qualification (VRQ) which meets the knowledge requirements of SVQ level 2 in Road passenger Transport. View details of the Dundee & Angus College Course.
For information on the courses please telephone 01382 834874 (Dundee & Angus College) 01382 227369 (Unite the Union) or 01382 811573 for Taxi Training Dundee (Taxi Office Course).
The 3rd course is also a VRQ and is being run by all the Taxi Offices, content is similar to the Dundee & Angus college course.
The benefits of training are
For the trade it will:
- Improve the image of the taxi trade
- Result in a better quality of service and reduce the number of complaints
- Provide a better image of Dundee, especially with visitors and tourists
For the operator/taxi offices it will:
- Attract more drivers with the right skills
- Improve reliability and retention of drivers
- Improve competitiveness and best value
- Raise standards in the quality of service provided
- Increase customer satisfaction, reduce complaints and liabilities
- Improve loyalty of customers
- Raise the profile of the company
- Improve business performance
For the driver it will provide:
- Improved self-esteem and job satisfaction
- The prospect to enhance earnings through quality of service provided
- The opportunity to work in an acknowledged profession
- An opportunity to engage in learning and obtain a recognised qualification
- Enhance the quality of service provided
- The potential to reduce insurance costs
For Dundee City Council it will:
- Reduce costs of monitoring drivers
- Result in fewer complaints and public risk
- Make it easier for local authorities to collaborate on licensing regimes thereby assisting labour mobility
- Local authorities create a locally licensed service which achieves nationally recognised standards
There are over 700 Licensed Taxis and Private Cars in Dundee. The majority of vehicles are saloon cars which are licensed to carry 4 passengers. There are over 200 wheelchair accessible taxis which can carry a maximum of 8 passengers. Stretched limos are licensed as Private Hire Cars.
Taxis can pick up passengers in the street whilst Private Hire Cars must be prebooked.
Police Scotland are consulted on all applications and applicants for Taxi Driver Licences need to pass a Knowledge Test.
All vehicles are tested to high standard.
Applications are considered by the Licensing Committee which meets monthly, with the exception of August, when the Council is in recess.
Please note that the application forms currently available on this page are for new applications only.